Assault City Roller Derby is the women’s flat-track roller derby league in Syracuse, NY. ACRD is a 501(c)(7) organization founded in 2007, owned and operated by its skaters. Our name is a pun on Syracuse’s nickname, the “Salt City.”
Our skaters are a diverse group of women from all walks of life who are dedicated to the sport of roller derby. We play modern roller derby and promote athleticism, sportsmanship, and community involvement. ACRD provides fans with real, full-contact, hard-hitting action (not staged or scripted). Each team member contributes monthly dues to fund our training, and pay for our practice space and equipment. We also depend on devoted volunteers, sponsors, and family to support our athletic endeavors.
We are proud to be a member league of the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA), an international governing body for women’s flat track roller derby. WFTDA sets standards for rules, gameplay, and safety, and determines guidelines for the national and international athletic competitions of member leagues. We became an apprentice member of WFTDA in July 2011. As part of our apprenticeship, we worked closely with the Atlanta Rollergirls to continue our league’s growth and improvement. In June 2013, ACRD earned full membership status after successful completion of the WFTDA Apprentice Program.
ACRD was founded on the attributes of athleticism, integrity, charity, and respect.
- We seek to enrich the lives of our members and community through sport.
- We promote the empowerment of women.
- We create a safe and organized environment that fosters the health, well-being, and personal growth of our skaters.
- We strive for excellence in all we do.
- We provide rigorous training for our skaters and work toward continuous improvement in our sport.
- We are committed to democratic principles, constructive dialogue, and teamwork.
- We strengthen the communities in which we live through service and volunteerism.
- We do our best to represent Syracuse well, at home and on the road, both on and off the track.
Most of all, we want to build a sustainable, supportive skating community where everyone feels welcome. If you would like to join us, there’s a place for you at ACRD. Click here to find out more.