Our next open house will be held September 10th at 6:30pm
How to skate with Assault City Roller Derby in 5 easy steps:
1. Watch this site and/or our Facebook page for the announcement of our next recruitment open house! We have these in the winter and summer before each Fresh Meat session starts.
2. Attend a recruitment open house. Come check out our practice space, watch a derby demonstration, meet some league skaters, pick up a new-skater info packet, and most importantly, get sized for gear! If you can’t make it to a scheduled open house, let us know – we can send you a copy of the info packet and set up another time to size you. Please don’t skip this key step! It is extremely important that you have gear that fits you properly. We have tried on a vast array of derby gear and can give you useful advice for finding the right gear for your body.
3. Buy your gear, and show up for Fresh Meat orientation! The date will be in your new-skater info packet. This is where you meet your fellow Freshies! Also, we will go over league policies and practices, and we’ll make sure the gear you bought fits you. Also, paperwork! Whee!
4. Begin attending Fresh Meat practices! The schedule for these will also be in your new-skater info packet.
5. That’s it! Achievement unlocked: you have joined ACRD!
If it’s going to be a long time till the next recruitment open house and you want to get started skating right away, we recommend you check out our friends at Syracuse Skate Gang! They will get you rolling in a safe, encouraging environment and give you a good skating foundation to prepare you for roller derby. They do new-skater intake on a monthly basis from fall to spring, so you won’t have to wait too long to begin your skating journey.
Want to ref or help?
If you’re interested in joining us as a referee, the process is the same for you. Referees train with skaters up through Basic Skills before moving on to ref-specific practices.
If you’d like to get involved with us but don’t want to skate, you should still come to a recruitment open house! We can add you to our Non-Skating Officials crew there.
Thinking of transferring teams?
If you’re a skater who’d like to transfer to ACRD from another league, please email us or contact us through Facebook. We’ll set up a time for you to come in so we can evaluate your skills and see where we can place you in our league. If we think you’re safe to jump straight into league practices, you may attend three free practices to check us out before deciding if you’d like to commit to joining us.
Traveling to Syracuse?
If you’re a skater, referee, or NSO from another league who will be traveling to Syracuse and you’d like to drop in on some practices while you’re in town, we’d be happy to have you! Please email us or contact us through Facebook for our practice schedule and directions to our practice space, The Vault.
If you have any other questions about joining ACRD, please contact us! We want you! Join us!